Thursday, December 9, 2010

DIY Wedding Tips

I did all of the decor, flowers, and music for my wedding. I also made the groom's cake (to die for) and we did some really unique things to personalize The Big Day. I want to share my ideas because my wedding was gorgeous and nobody could tell we didn't pay thousands of dollars to have it just right.

First off, I want to say I save literally thousands of dollars to do it all myself and it was pretty easy. My way won't be for everyone though. It wasn't hard but it did require prep time and I worked a little every weekend for several weeks on my decor, flowers, favors, and music.

For starters, I did have a couple of months to plan. I started early watching Hobby Lobby and specialty stores for wedding sales. HL has them all the time. I checked out tons of DIY wedding books at the library! That is a great resource. I did my flowers all with silk from HL and they looked amazing! I also got a garden arch there $10 at half off and bought yards of tulle while it was half off too.

More to come...

Update: Check out books at the library for free floral arrangement ideas, DIY party favors (big $ saver there), decorating ideas, and cake recipes! Wedding industry is big, so there are a lot of these books available! Watch your local craigslist for good stuff from another wedding, hey it's only been used once for a couple of hours right?

Submitted by syderial

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Posted by shannonbride: That is inspiring!! i was just looking through these wedding cakes and thinking, how could i ever afford one like this? but maybe i can find a friend or take a cake decorating class and DIY!! the story of your groom's cake is giving me hope. :)

Anonymous said...

Posted by princess_porta: I am with Georgia on that..I am planning my wedding for June 20 this year and i am mostly doing it by myself, so any helpful hints would be great =D

Anonymous said...

Posted by GeorgiaR: I would love to see pictures and hear your ideas. I want to plan my own wedding and reception and would love ideas on a budget!

Anonymous said...

Posted by syderial: I did my flowers and decor myself. Has anybody else done this? What resources did you use? Any tips? I checked out floral design books for weddings at the library, then watched for a Hobby Lobby sale and saved hundreds of dollars! Hobby Lobby rocks.

Anonymous said...

Posted by mrsrich: I would also like to create my own floral centerpieces and looking for ideas.

Anonymous said...

Posted by kccooper: My friends and I have been searching through photos of what other people have done and we'll be putting together a mix of things we saw that we liked. My motto has always been "find something you like and do it better."